Monday, November 5, 2012

Diary of a Wimpy Kid


Kinney, J. (2009). Diary of a wimpy kid: dog days. Amulet Books, New York.

 The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books are very popular in our library.  I skimmed the first one when it came out and was not impressed with the main character, Greg Heffley. I had thought the stories would be about a misunderstood, misfit kid readers could identify with.  I found a quite unlikeable, self-centered kid instead BUT.... the Wimpy Kid continued to be popular.  So last week I gave him another try. I still did not like Greg Heffly, but I could see his appeal. In fact, I am sure my own children could relate to some of Greg's disappointing summer experiences - like the surprise summer trip where his Mom packed healthy snacks (no pizza stop), the surprise was the 'Slip Slide Water Park' (definitely not cool for a middle school kid), once the family did get settled a thunder storm appeared and the park was closed due to lightening, they got caught in the traffic jam leaving the park, and his younger brother told those four year old jokes (the ones that don't make sense) all the way home. Between losing and regaining his best friend, starting a doomed summer business, surviving a summer crush and navigating the horrors of the men's change room, Greg is certainly someone a middle grade kid can relate to. Greg is still self-centered and thoughtless, but his misdeeds do have consequences. Perhaps Greg Heffley is just mischievous and irreverent enough to appeal while the consequences of his actions maintain some safe boundaries - a way to explore tempting thoughts we know are not really right, but might be fun at the time.  The black line, newspaper comic style illustrations add some details to the diary style narration and break up the text making it feel like an 'easy read'. I have to admit, I did crack a smile a few times....

Late Primary/Intermediate

No comments:

Post a Comment