Thursday, November 8, 2012

Owl Magazine

OWL Magazine (Ages 9 to 13)
 Cooper, K. (Ed.). Nov. 2012. Owl. Toronto, Ont.: Bayard Canada.

 Although I subscribe to Owl for our library and my own two children had subscriptions, I have to admit I have not read one cover to cover since I was 12.  I was impressed. It had something for everyone: puzzles, quizzes, animal facts, sports science, jokes, contests, an advice page with both student and professional suggestions, FAQ, a 'hot topic' current events pole, 2 serial comic strips, a DIY section and even some world records!  The layout is bright and colourful, mixing text and graphic information. Responses to past questions and contests are included with children's names and ages making the magazine really feel child centered. The contests and submissions all have web or e-mail as well as 'snail mail' addresses that make them accessible to all readers. Like all magazines, the articles stand alone and readers can pick and choose where to spend their time - and go back later for more.  Best of all, Owl is Canadian!

Intermediate

No comments:

Post a Comment